Shortbread originated in Scotland, with the first printed recipe in 1736 from a Scotswoman named Mrs McLintock. This recipe is an adaptation which still tastes great today!
- Serves 20-24 shortbreads
- Preparation time: ~10 minutes
- Cooking time: some 15-20 minutes
- 125g Butter
- 55g Caster sugar
- 180g Plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until smooth.
- Slowly stir in the flower to make a smooth dough
- Place onto a work surface and roll out until the dough is about 2cm thick.
- Cut into fingers or rounds and place onto a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with sugar then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until or until pale golden-brown.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack.